Reporting to the Branch Manager, the position is responsible for supervising the shop mechanics/apprentices including training, inspecting work, managing inventory and ensuring maintenance levels meet with Landmark Bus Line’s high standards. Maintains a positive work environment by providing all employees with fair and equitable supervision and encouraging professional and personal growth. Safety and positive customer relations are the cornerstones of this position.
Job Duties / Responsibilities
- Co-ordinate maintenance between Operations, Service Department and Operators at the branch.
- Oversee and schedule the production and work of all maintenance personnel in repairing and servicing of all vehicles and equipment.
- Evaluate the work of maintenance personnel to ensure efficient management of work processes and services and provide performance feedback.
- Provide technical direction and coordinate training initiatives.
- Record and monitor inventory levels of department supplies, parts, tools, and fuels, ensure the efficient use of and coordinate orders.
- Monitor accuracy and quality of mechanical work and record keeping on all servicing, repairs, inventory and department maintenance.
- Ensure 100% compliance with inventory control system.
- Track expenses on current monthly maintenance budget and forecast for the next month.
- Facilitate shop meetings including 5-minute stand-up, biweekly 1×1 and a monthly staff meeting.
- Perform clerical and administrative functions involved in records keeping and reporting.
- Count inventory annually.
- Perform mechanical work as required.
- Consult with/address operations to get detailed information on repairs, concerns or equipment failures/condition.
- Perform roadside service/towing as required.
- Maintain regular communications with Ministry of Transportation Inspectors on MTO standards and mechanical knowledge.
- Maintain membership in associated organizations.
- Responsible for department budgeting and quarterly reporting.
- Negotiate with suppliers for contract rates etc.
- Responsible to comply with the cold weather start-up procedures.
- Maintain complete knowledge and comply with company policies, procedures, and standards.
- Maintain client and company confidence by keeping information confidential and secure.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with team members and management in a team environment.
- Set-up and organize individual work area with designated supplies, forms and resource materials while maintaining cleanliness at all times.
- Operate a school vehicle over an assigned route in certain situations if required by the branch.
- Represent the company in a front-line capacity.
- Completion of high school or vocational equivalent
- Certified Truck/Coach Auto Mechanics license and satisfactory completion and ongoing updates of automotive technology programs
- Current/updated courses on automotive technology, equipment and techniques
- Ozone Depletion license
- Prior supervisory experience and 3 to 5 years work experience in the mechanical repair and maintenance of all company related equipment
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Knowledge of safety rules and precautions related to the use of tools, vehicles and equipment
- Knowledge of methods, tools, materials, equipment and procedures used in the diagnosis, overhaul, repair and adjustment of components and systems for vehicles and equipment
- Good interpersonal and communication (verbal and written English) skills including exceptional active listening skills
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to adjust to changing duties and deadlines
- Ability to read and interpret bus routes and schedules
- Ability to work independently as well as cohesively with employees and managers as part of a team
- Demonstrated initiative to assist in other areas when requested or required
- Ability to maintain confidential information in a mature and professional manner
- Excellent supervisory skills
- Ability to assimilate information quickly and accurately to make effective day-to-day operational decisions
- Ability to diagnose mechanical problems using diagnostic equipment as necessary, and make adjustments and repairs to systems and components of vehicles and equipment
- Ability to proficiently use the tools and equipment such as engine analyzer, battery, starter, cooling system and voltage testers
- Ability to exercise independent judgment to diagnose and determine cause of mechanical problems
- Ability to read, interpret and apply diagnostic codes, maintenance manuals, electrical diagrams, vehicle emission control standards and related specification manuals
- Must have a “G” Class license not a probationary license
- To secure a B Class license
- Age requirement for the Ministry of Transportation is 21
- Criminal search requirement for a B Class license for the Ministry of Transportation
- A satisfactory driver’s abstract
- Ability to pass a required Ministry of Transportation medical, vision and written test prior to undergoing the company “B” license training program and maintain a class “B” license – License must also be maintained via applicable renewals as per the Ministry requirements.
- Complete a School Bus Driver Improvement Course
- position is physically demanding and may involve climbing, bending, stooping, carrying, lifting, working in outdoor weather
To apply for this job email your details to ApplyNow@rnces.ca